Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lesbian refused name change after marriage!

Tennessee officials refused to issue a new drivers license to a lesbian woman looking to take on her partner’s last name, WUSA News reported.
The woman, Traci Turpin, and her partner married in Washington DC on Tuesday. Upon returning to Tennessee, Turpin visited the Social Security office where she was able to legally change her last name. However, when the Knoxville native went to the Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain a new driver’s license, she was denied her request.According to WUSA, the west Knoxville DMV initially issued Turpin a new license. It was not until she left the office that an employee approached her car and reportedly asked for the new license back. Turpin refused.“How dare her employee run out to my car, in front of everybody and say, ‘You’ve got to give me the license back, we don’t recognize same sex marriage,’ out loud,” said Turpin.

DMV workers notified highway patrolmen who where able to retrieve the new license. Turpin was issued another identification with her given last name.
The state of Tennessee requires a legal document which demonstrates the reason for such a change on a driver’s license. While gay marriage is legal in DC, Tennessee does not recognize same-sex unions so Turpin’s marriage license was null and void.
“Yes I understand it’s state law. I recognize that. I just want my name to match my social security card,” Turpin said.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if this would cause any problems when applying abroad for sponsorship for my husband who lives in the UK. I have opted at this time to not change my name after the marriage so all of my identification still relfects my maiden name. I was thinking about changing after our sponsorship was all sent out or down the road. Anyhow do you see this as being a problem?


    married name change

    ReplyDelete